
Our perfectly healthy little boy has a weekness to all of his super powers. He thinks he is a super hero, but I guess all super heros have an achilles tendon. We have found Chase's. Starting about Sunday afternoon he just didn't seem like our normal little ball of fire. He was asking for naps (he is always super good and takes naps well, but what little two year asks for his nap?) Just a little off for him. He also was complaining of something hurting on his left side. This would happen when he was climbing up onto a chair or a bed etc.... He was off just enough that I took him with me to my OB exam on Wed. morning. We see a family doc so he looked at Chase while we were there. We LOVE Dr. Thompson and are so thankful for the chance we have to be his patients. He knew there was something wrong when he felt his spleen and it was enlarged. He told us to go get some lab work and it would take a couple of hours to get results, but he thought it was something called ITP. Nothing too serious and it has no treatment to it. I had my car all packed up and we were leaving from the Dr. to go straight to my parents in Logan area to then continue on to Bear Lake. We were packed up to stay for two weeks so my mom could help me with the kids (that is because I am an enormous whale at this point and Chase can run faster than I can....side note:I have about 8 weeks left before the new little one comes). So Dr. T said just get on the road and if it comes back abnormal you can go to Primary Children's. And if it is ITP there is not a lot to do anyway. So we started our journey that I never in a million years thought would put us where we are today. After about three hours I started to think maybe I should call the Doc to see what was taking so long. I was also in Provo area and thinking I needed to know what was going on because I was getting close to Salt Lake. The medical assistant said he was in an exam room but would call me back when he got out. I was at 5300 S. when he called. He kept me calm and just said they wanted to run some more tests because there were a few things that didn't point exactly to ITP. We came up to Primary's and the ER saw him and didn't hesitate to admit him. At this point no one is telling me anything. It wasn't until I walked into the unit he would be admitted to that I knew something wasn't right. He is now in the ICS. ImmunoCompromised unit is where we are. This was not a good sign to me. Finally our awesome nurse last night sat with us and told us everything that was going on. At this point it started to set in that this was not just blood work they were doing. They hooked him up to the IV. It doesn't slow him down a bit. We have to run behind him with it. We were in the play room and he was going to fast. We told him he needed to slow down so we could stay caught up with the IV and he said, "okay" and if you know Chaser his "okay" is like the cutest thing is the whole world. He then went on to do the slow motion run. Like "Chariots of Fire". It was great! His sense of humor will never leave (at least I hope....). So back to the reality of what was going on. I laid awake last night thinking "how did this happen?" It was crazy how it all fell into place like it did. In fact my inlaws went to the temple last night and my father in law sat next to Dr. T. We were packed for a long vaca and have EVERYTHING we could possibly need with us. Ashton was on his way to a golf trip he had been planning since dec. in palm springs. So at this point I had called him and said I think you need to come back. Ben (Ashton's Bro.) and Chelsea (my soon to be sis in law) were such a HUGE help. They came for moral support and helped out with the kids, who were both so excited to see Ben and Chels because they love them. Abby was in good hands and went to spend the night with Ben. She was so excited for a sleep over with them. My mom made it down here to stay the night with me until Ashton could get here from Cali. We had a good night and couldn't get Chase to go to bed. Midnight came and went and he was literally bouncing off the walls still. He was not a sick little boy....."WHY AM I HERE?" was all I kept thinking. I mostly laid awake last night just thinking what is this??? At this point we had no idea, but the nurse was very helpful in letting us know some possibilities. By morning and after lots of blood draws we had a better idea that it was Leukemia just didn't know what kind. We now have a diagnosis of Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia. He went into surgery this afternoon and everything went great. They got a bone marrow sample, did a lumbar puncture and then put chemotherapy into his CNS, then put in a port. A port is a little piece of plastic underneath his skin so we don't have to clean it or anything. What it is for is direct access to his blood stream. This is used for any IV's or for his chemotherapy. He is now up and awake and as happy as he could be for the rough day he has had. For the future we will be making MANY trips to SLC. In the next few months it will be once a week. Treatment itself lasts 3 yrs. So anyone want to sell a house in SLC??? I have a feeling it is going to become our second home.
Your prayers have ALL been heard. Even though the leukemia isn't the best thing to have on our plates everything else has been textbook and he is on the good side of having leukemia (did I just say good and Leukemia in the same sentence?).
Thank you all for all of your love and support. I know that Heavenly Father has been with us from the very beginning and will continue to be with us because of all of your prayers! We love you all and appreciate all that you are doing for us! It is amazing what love and support gets poured out in times of need! I can't say thanks enough. I know that each and every prayer has been heard and I have felt every one of them too. Love you all!!!








26 comments:
Sending prayers and love your way...Little Chase is so special...such a gift to us all. Love you guys so much, Ringwood Fam
We love Prince Family and you have not left our thoughts and prayers! If anyone can "outrun" Leukemia it's Chase! Love you all so much!
We are sorry to hear about cute little Chase - but glad to hear he is in good spirits. Children are amazing. You guys are certainly in our thoughts and prayers. You are more than welcome to stay at our place anytime although we are in springville! lots of love - Rhett & Julie!
Dani,
Just wanted to let you know your little man will by in our families prayers. We hate cancer here, and understand a little of the uncertainties that come along with it, and are here if you need anything!
Oh Chaser! We’re thinking and praying for you to get all better. Hang in there and keep being the super hero Chase that we all know & Love! Let us know if we can do ANYTHING! Love you guys!!!!!
Love Justin, Shelly, Ty, Jake and Taycie
What a shock this morning to learn of this unexpected challenge in your lives! Life has a way of turning upside down in only a moment. Lots of prayers headed from our home to yours. Hugs to your cute little family:)
Love, Mike and Polly
You are in our thoughts and prayers! We Love You!
Aunt Teresa & Uncle Quinn
My dad just called me to let me know about Chase. I wish I lived closer, I feel helpless living this far away. I will keep your family in my prayers, he is such a fighter and there is probably a reason he was born with that much ambition and will.....let me know if you guys do a fast or anything for him, I would love to help in ANY way I can. LOVE you guys, and we are thinking of you.
Dani, what a great attitude you have! Chase is lucky to have you there as his number one fan as he overcomes this challenge in his life. Although we are far from you, our thoughts are with you and we will pray for Chase to be tough. I hope that little guy in your tummy lets you rest some too! Take care...
I'm so sorry to hear about little Chase. So glad to hear he's at least on the good side of things. Please let me know if there's anything I can do!
I know you might not know me, but im a Burmester my family lived in cornish my sister is Jennie. Your story is beautiful, it is sad but it strengthens my testimony so much to know through all this you are still going strong with heavenly father. Your little boy is so cute, My little boy is almost two and he just like chase broken leg before he even turned two! you are great. God bless your family. Your in my prayers
Dani I don't even know what to say. I'm so sad to hear about Chase. You sound so strong. You are all in our prayers. Please let me know what I can do to help. Anything.
We love you and of course would love to help in ANY way. Dani, we live so close to Primary's. If you want to come stay with me, please do so!
Are you serious about buying? I may be able to help you find a rental... but at least until you get things figured out, you are welcome here anytime.
With Paisley being so close to his age, I have lots of toys for him!! Please let us know what we can do.
You sound so positive! Thank you for sharing this with all of us! We will keep you in our prayers!
Love You,
ginger and bill
Dani, you all are in our prayers. If chase is anything like his mama, he's tough and determined! While I am in Utah i'd love to help in anyway possible. Please let me know if you need ANYTHING! Love you!
Dani I love you and your cute little fam. We are all thinking and praying for you. Pleeease let us help in any way we can down here in SG. Hang in there babe, you have an amazing attitude and so does Chaser.
dani you are amazing being so positive through this. ohhh my heart just aches for little chase and for you and ashton. please let us help you in any way possible. we are here for you. you guys are just amazing. so so sad for what chase is going through right now. he will overcome it!!!!!! have faith :) we will say lot's and lot's of prayers for you....
lots of hugs and kisses
dan and linds
you and your family are in our prayers. Best of luck with Chase's treatment and hope he does well on the road to recovery! love and miss you!
Dani, I am so sorry. What a scary thing. We are praying for you and I really hope everything goes well. If you ever need anything, like a place to stay, I am only about a half hour out of SLC and I would love to have you and your family.
Dani, I don't know if you'll have time to read all these but I'm commenting anyway. I sat up last night and just cried for you and your little Chaser. I am so sorry that you have to watch you little one suffer. I know that now he's still fine and feeling "good" but Chemo is a hard thing and I'm so sorry you guys have to go through this. I know that Heavenly Father has a plan for all of us. So stay strong and faithful lay your burdens out for Him and he will carry you through. ***If you need a place to stay when you come up for Chemo, my door is ALWAYS OPEN!!!" Mi casa es su casa! I will help you with the new baby if you need to leave him here while you go do Chemo with Chase I will help in anyway possible!! PLEASE feel free to stay here ANYTIME! We'll move Gracee into Brock's room when you come and you and the kids can have Gracee's bed it's a double. Our prayers are with you all and we love you guys!!!
I just read your blog and want to send me best wishes for sweet and extremely handsome little Chase. I am so sorry your lives have been abruptly changed. My prayers will be constant for all of you. I am friend of Ashton's from Dixie High. Please send my love.
We are all thinking of you and little Chase. We're praying for you and are here for you if you ever need anything! We know this isn't an easy time, but we're glad to know you have such a positive attitude and faith that all will be well. We love you guys!
-BJ & Amber
We also will be praying for you. Having a BUSY two-year-old boy myself, I cried when I read this post:( So sorry to hear about Chase and the battle you guys are starting. But I am happy for the silver-linings, and that they were able to figure out what was wrong. We will keep you in our prayers!
Hey guys...We're thinking of you and praying for little Chase. What a rough thing to go through. We are here for you if you need anything. Lots of love - Ryan & Heidi
You don't know us, but I read about your on Ginger's FB status. We are praying for you and sweet Chase! Please know you are not alone.
I know you probably don't know me. I am married to Ashton's cousin Dan. We are in Salt Lake visiting and heard about your sweet little boy. What a hard thing for your family. We will be praying for you all.
Love,
Dan and Jamie
Ashton & Dani,
I wish I could offer words of comfort, but, strangely, your words in your post brought comfort to me as I read (will tears spilling down my cheeks). You have a strong spirit, Dani, and from one mother to another, I know you will be a strength to your family through this difficult time. Wish we lived closer, so that I could offer more physical support, but do know we send our love and prayers from Arizona.
Love,
Nat & family
Post a Comment